Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)

Category-Based Online Book Club ~ To Learn and Share our Literary Treasures

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

A Mango-Shaped Space by Wendy Mass

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Karen We

PostSubject: A Mango-Shaped Space by Wendy Mass   Wed 17 Jun 2009, 10:30 am

My daughter Kelly who is 13 recommended this book to me when I told her what my topic was for June.

It is the story of a 13 year old girl named Mia who is your normal teen except for the fact that she sees numbers and letters in color. Mia realizes that not everyone is like her when an incident involving "the colors" in 3rd grade gets her sent to the principal's office. Since then, Mia has kept her colors to herself until as an 8th grader, she is forced to reveal her secret.

This book may be a work of fiction, but it is a very realistic fiction book because there are actually quite a number of people who can see numbers and letters in color. It is called synesthesia and I was just amazed that this condition really exists since I had never heard of it before.

I thought Mass did a very good job sharing what it might be like to have synesthesia even though she herself does not have it. I also liked the fact Mia's family although has its quirkiness, which all families have, there is a mom and a dad and two other siblings that truly care for one another and are pretty normal. So many times young adult books seem to center on some type of abuse or emotional repercussions from divorce. I realize that these are realistic issues for many young adults, but it was just refreshing to read about a family where the parents didn't have major issues and where mutual respect and genuine understanding among family members was highlighted.

I give A Mango-Shaped Space 4 stars.
Back to top Go down

A Mango-Shaped Space by Wendy Mass
Page 1 of 1