Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)

Category-Based Online Book Club ~ To Learn and Share our Literary Treasures

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hoot by Carl Hiaasen

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Lori

Hoot by Carl Hiaasen Empty
PostSubject: Hoot by Carl Hiaasen   Hoot by Carl Hiaasen EmptySun 20 Sep 2009, 9:43 am

This book was a hoot! Carl Hiaasen's books take place in Florida and always have an environmental message. This one focused on the burrowing owls. His characters are quirky and usually not as they originally appear to be. I have read a number of his adult novels and two of his young adult novels. I have to say I think I enjoy his young adult novels better. The characters are great and his books leave you with the feeling that everyone has the power to make a positive change. The kids in this book are trying to save a lot that is home to burrowing owls. I also read Scat (which I think I liked even a little better) which was about the Florida panther. I would highly recommend both of them.

4 out of 5 stars.
Back to top Go down
Dorothy

Dorothy

Hoot by Carl Hiaasen Empty
PostSubject: Hoot by Carl Hiaasen   Hoot by Carl Hiaasen EmptyTue 03 Nov 2009, 12:12 pm

I just finished reading this book, my pick for my November category "Not Just for Kids". I have read many of Carl Hiaasen's adult books of which I really enjoyed. I thought this young adult book was equally as good. The New York Times Book Review of it really sums it up perfectly. "It's about greedy developers, corrupt politicians, clueless cops and middle-school screwballs of all persuasions. You don't have to be a young adult to enjoy it."
5 out of 5 stars.
Dorothy
Back to top Go down

Hoot by Carl Hiaasen
Page 1 of 1