Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)

Category-Based Online Book Club ~ To Learn and Share our Literary Treasures

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen (c. 2001)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen  (c. 2001) Empty
PostSubject: Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen (c. 2001)   Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen  (c. 2001) EmptySat 10 Oct 2009, 10:22 am

I found this little book at a used book sale (Oak Park - awesome!) and thought I'd pop it in my bag for this category. It is a young person's "romance" of sorts about a boy (Bryce) who moves to a new neighborhood in the "second grade" and is immediately bombarded by a charismatic, driven very funny little neigborhood girl with very muddy shoes, Julianna ("Juli"). Bryce immediately is horrified of Juli, who grabs his hand before the boxes are even unpacked. He spends most of second through sixth grades hiding from her. But then, things start to change and he begins really like her. The book is told from both of the characters' perspectives, which is incredibly amusing. You cannot help but like them both, a lot. I'm only a bit of the way in, but it's a fast, super entertaining read, that brings back all of the stuff on how when the opposite gender is "gross" at first, then becomes something all together different as you grow up.

For those of you with kids, this book is targeted for an "8th grade" audience, but so far would appeal to most younger readers. Very cute book. Review to follow.

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen  (c. 2001) 8437c4c1c61db0b593530515141434d414f4541

Carolyn
Admin
Back to top Go down
https://wrrc.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen  (c. 2001) Empty
PostSubject: Review of Flipped by Wendelen Van Draanen (c. 2001)   Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen  (c. 2001) EmptyTue 13 Oct 2009, 7:05 am

Review of Flipped by Wendelen Van Draanen (c. 2001)

I really enjoyed Flipped, it was quite a surprise. While the core plot was somewhat predictable, boy moves into new neighborhood in the second grade, finds neighbor girl icky at first, then over the course of a few years, in eighth grade, much has changed and she is not so icky anymore. She falls head over heels in love with him from the first blink of his blue eyes and suffers rejection after rejection. However, sprinkled in were some very tough facts of life, issues of poverty, substance over wealthy facades, unrequited love and how incredibly painful that is, what people can and do sacrifice for others, or a lifestyle. Also, a theme that runs throughout the novel is looking beneath the surface, of anything, human beings, nature, relationships - how we all make (erroneous) assumptions about people based on looks, but if you give a person time, find they are quite different than you thought. Also, the main characters, Julianna and Bryce, learn how to think for themselves, even in the face of adult and peer pressure. They stumble, get embarrased, they fall, but ultimately, they get back up and learn about life. I think this would be wonderful reading for the targeted audience, 8th graders, but even a bit younger, and like me, quite a bit older (I am 41). It was a fast read, very sweet book and I even found myself tearing up a time or two. I recommend Flipped highly and just purely enjoyable ~ and a good lesson on stopping a bit, and remembering what is important.

4.5 out of 5 stars

Carolyn
Admin
Back to top Go down
https://wrrc.forumotion.com

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC) :: The Twelve Categories - 2009 :: 8. Not Just for Kids-
Jump to: