Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)

Category-Based Online Book Club ~ To Learn and Share our Literary Treasures

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Loving Frank by Nancy Horan

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nicole

PostSubject: Loving Frank by Nancy Horan   Sat 10 Jan 2009, 3:39 pm

On this snowy winter afternoon, I thought I would be brave and add my first post. This book was recommended by a co-worker. Although I am an admirer of Frank Lloyd Wright, I know very little about his personal life. This novel is about Mamah Borthwick Cheney's love affair with Lloyd. It is fiction and I plan to confirm how much of the novel is based on fact.
Happy reading!
Nicole
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Loving Frank by Nancy Horan   Sat 10 Jan 2009, 6:48 pm

Great job Nicole Smile ... see, nothin' to it!

To add a little support to your choice, I read Loving Frank about a year ago and really enjoyed it. I was ready to be all cynical then too because I thought pretty much everything had already been written about FLW ... I was pleasantly proved wrong.

I look very forward to reading to what you think about it!

Carolyn
Admin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wrrc.forumotion.com
Nicole

PostSubject: Loving Frank by Nancy Horan   Tue 27 Jan 2009, 8:28 pm

Loving Frank is Nancy Horan's first novel (7 years in the writing). It is a love story between Mamah (pronounced May-muh) Borthwick Cheney and the architect Frank Lloyd Wright. The author stayed with the historical outline, using actual events and characters for most of the novel. She shines when she exposes Mamah's emotional life.
Mamah is a learned woman who scandalized Chicago when she left her husband and two young children to flee to Europe with Wright - who left behind a wife and six children of his own. The two fell in love in 1907, while Wright was building a "prairie house" for Mamah and Edwin Cheney in Oak Park. The author successfully describes society's view that Wright was merely misbehaving while Mrs. Cheney was doing something far more shocking: acting like an unnatural mother.
The historical novel is not only about Mamah and Frank's love story. The author paints Mamah's struggle for sefl realization. A notation in Mamah's diary reads:" I have been standing on the side of life watching it float by. I want to swim in the river. I want to feel the current". The author eloquently outlines the tension between the freedoms women yearn to have and the consequences that may await when they try to take them.
A friend of mine left her husband and her three teenagers to pursue a career and a new lifestyle. Her husband continued to "love" her, but her children did not speak to her for a few years. Today she continues her successful career, has become a grandmother and no one seems the worst for it (from the outside looking in). Most of our acquaintances were very hard on her choices. Women's choices are still tough ones...The book is compelling- the ending totally unexpected!
I recommend this book and rate it a 4 out of 5 stars.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Loving Frank by Nancy Horan   Sun 01 Feb 2009, 7:17 pm

Great review! I too loved this book and it stayed with me for a while. Yeah, that ending was a surprise ... I did not know the story. I also liked all the history in Oak Park and Chicago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wrrc.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loving Frank by Nancy Horan   

Back to top Go down

Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
Page 1 of 1