Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)

Category-Based Online Book Club ~ To Learn and Share our Literary Treasures

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez   Tue 13 Jan 2009, 8:27 am

This post was moved from the thread "The Reader" to its own:

I bought this book a while back and started reading it on my flights to Florida. But alas, my disorder kicked in and I never finished it. Here goes!

TracySchrayer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wrrc.forumotion.com
TracySchrayer

PostSubject: Review: Love in the Time of Chlorea   Wed 04 Feb 2009, 8:29 pm

Finally...here is my review!

The title of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's novel says it all: This is an epic story told with witty, often hilarious, insight about thwarted love. Florentino is passionately and irrevocably in love with Fermina, but when Fermina abruptly calls off their courtship, he is helpless to stop her from marrying a physician. Florentino must endure decades of unrequited love while his beloved constructs a life around another man. But this novel is about so much more than the love Florentino harbors for Fermina. This is about love in all difficult times, through social and political change, through obligation and approaching old age, through betrayal and bold declarations. Fermina's husband Juvenal Urbino is as much a part of this novel as the two lovers

This truly is a beautifully written masterpiece. If you are into quick reads this is not for you, it took me...a month to read this (on and off – and you know I have my disorder and all!)...but it was worth it. Reading this book makes you feel like you are stepping into a different world. I could smell the cafe con leche, feel the humidity, and see the aged buildings and cobblestone roads.

In my opinion, the mark of a good book is when you're able to feel all the emotions of the characters. It was an amazing story, and I believe that the ending, the very last page, is one of the greatest endings ever written. Marquez successfully tells a story of half a century, in perfect pace, and captures the very essence of love. In a word...it's breathtaking.

Did anyone see the movie? I'm going to try and watch it soon. I'm sure it will be nothing like the book!

Tracy S
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez   Fri 06 Feb 2009, 8:56 pm

Wow Tracy, what a great review! You really make me want to re-visit this one. I read it years ago (like maybe right after high school?) and I don't think I enjoyed it as much as you did ~ in fact, I rather recall slugging through it. I did like Hundred Years of Solitude, which I read a bit later ...

But maybe now, with a bit of life under my belt ...

I think your disorder is calming some! This isn't exactly one you zip through, if I recall.

Smile

Carolyn
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wrrc.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez   

Back to top Go down

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Page 1 of 1