Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)

Category-Based Online Book Club ~ To Learn and Share our Literary Treasures

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

March by Geraldine Brooks (2006 Pulitzer Prize-fiction)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dorothy

Dorothy

March by Geraldine Brooks (2006 Pulitzer Prize-fiction) Empty
PostSubject: March by Geraldine Brooks (2006 Pulitzer Prize-fiction)   March by Geraldine Brooks (2006 Pulitzer Prize-fiction) EmptyFri 30 Jan 2009, 10:12 am

My category for February is #1 All the World's a Stage. I have picked "March" by Geraldine Brooks, which was the 2006 Pulitzer Prize winner for fiction. It is based on character of the absent father in Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women" and his experiences in the Civil War. The reviews I saw on it were very favorable. Can't wait to get started.
Dorothy
Back to top Go down
Dorothy

Dorothy

PostSubject: Review of March by Geraldine Brooks   March by Geraldine Brooks (2006 Pulitzer Prize-fiction) EmptyFri 13 Feb 2009, 2:53 pm

Just finished reading my February selection "March" Geraldine Brooks. As I mentioned in my previous post it is based on the character of the father in "Little Women", which I have not read so I can't compare the character. I give it 4 1/2 stars, not 5 because there were some places that I thought it could have moved long a little better, but once it did get going I couldn't put it down. There is some heavy reading regarding the war and slavery. Lot of good characters. I think it would make a good discussion book, and I hope someone does read it so we may share opinions.
If anyone does decide to read it, read the afterward first. It doesn't give anything away but gives a nice insight about the author's research of the history at that time and how she came up with the characters.
Back to top Go down
karen we

PostSubject: Re: March by Geraldine Brooks (2006 Pulitzer Prize-fiction)   March by Geraldine Brooks (2006 Pulitzer Prize-fiction) EmptyFri 02 Oct 2009, 10:02 pm

Although I orginally planned on reading another book for this category for September, I actually forgot that I wanted to read this book after reading your review on it, Mrs. Schroeder. I just finished it and really enjoyed it.

Thank you for the tip about reading the afterword first. I thought it was interesting to find out that in writing "Little Women," Alcott based her characters on her own family. It was interesting too, to learn where Grace Clement's voice came from and how Alcott's own experience as a Civil War nurse helped Brooks paint such a realistic scene in the hospital chapters.

I thought that Brooks did an excellent job describing the various aspects of the civil war through the diverse selection of characters. We have the main character, Mr. March who returns from the war a totally different person than when he left. There is Marmee March who must keep the home fires burning as her husband and father of their daughters is away. We receive a taste of what it is like as a slave, both as a piece of property and an emancipated, but still hated individual as we read about Grace, Zannah, Cilla, Jesse and others.

After finishing the story, I really felt like I knew these characters and understood why they said what they said and did what they did even if I didn't always agree with them. I too feel that this would make a good book discussion book.

Thank you for a fine book recommendation.

Karen
Back to top Go down
Dorothy

Dorothy

PostSubject: March by Geraldine Brooks   March by Geraldine Brooks (2006 Pulitzer Prize-fiction) EmptySat 10 Oct 2009, 10:08 am

Karen,
I'm glad you enjoyed this book. I really got into the characters. While I was reading I had to keep reminding myself that it was a novel and not a true story. I agree with you about understanding why the characters did what they did in their situations-whether or not you or I agreed with them or would have done the same thing.
I always enjoy reading about your selections and your reviews.
Hope all is well with you and your family. When you talk to your mom say hi to her from me.
Dorothy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: March by Geraldine Brooks (2006 Pulitzer Prize-fiction)   March by Geraldine Brooks (2006 Pulitzer Prize-fiction) Empty

Back to top Go down

March by Geraldine Brooks (2006 Pulitzer Prize-fiction)
Page 1 of 1