Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)

Category-Based Online Book Club ~ To Learn and Share our Literary Treasures

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Trust Me On This by Donald E. Westlake

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joannee

PostSubject: Trust Me On This by Donald E. Westlake   Mon 02 Mar 2009, 1:01 pm

March 2009: As a kid, before I delved into literature - Mystery - was the category for me. From Nancy Drew to Encyclopedia Brown, I loved the puzzle and the intrigue. It is sad to report that it took the 2008 death of Donald Westlake the "prolific author considered one of the most successful and versatile mystery writers in the United States" before I read one of his works. He often worked under Richard Stark, Tucker Coe, Samuel Holt or Edwin West so he could write more than one book per year. (You may know him as the screenwriter for "The Grifters") So, it will be interesting to see if his writing is formulaic or if he has that style that engages me into the work. Stay Tuned.

flower So now I have finished the book. I am happy to report that this author was pretty good. The book was not overly stimulating -- a simple plot and a simple story -- but I didn't figure it out before the end. So, it was not predictable versus other authors I have read. This author has written A LOT of these books - so I am actually going to read another (BAD NEWS) and see if he works with a formula or if his writing is simply yet holds the suspence factor.

My story revolved around a tabloid like the National Enquirer called the National Galaxy and was even set in Florida -- the NE's hometown. A fair amount of the story schooled me in the ways of these types of newspapers - but there was a solid plot with a young journalist finding herself in this racy environment when she really sought hard news. We see some romance (not heavy in the least), a little self-realization for the girl and sufficient plot turns -- that would make me recommend the book. It is not Grisham. It is not even Sherlock Holmes -- but it's not a drugstore romance either.

Last edited by Joannee on Sun 29 Mar 2009, 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updated initial commentary with completed book review.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Trust Me On This by Donald E. Westlake
Page 1 of 1