Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)

Category-Based Online Book Club ~ To Learn and Share our Literary Treasures

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shafer & Annie Barrows

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shafer & Annie Barrows Empty
PostSubject: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shafer & Annie Barrows   The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shafer & Annie Barrows EmptyMon 09 Mar 2009, 10:54 am

This was Sondra's choice for the travel topic and as of today, it is #10 on the NY Times hardcover fiction list as well. Sondra recommends a book as excellent only once in a great while, so when she said this one was worth the read, I perked up.

I have hesitated reading too much about it so as just to enjoy the experience with no "spoilers" ... so other than it takes place predominantly on the isle of Guernsey; and people seem to love this book, I know nothing about it.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shafer & Annie Barrows 0385340990.01._SX140_SCLZZZZZZZ_

Review to follow.

Carolyn
Admin

Last edited by Admin on Thu 12 Mar 2009, 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://wrrc.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shafer & Annie Barrows Empty
PostSubject: Review of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society   The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shafer & Annie Barrows EmptyWed 11 Mar 2009, 8:39 pm

Review of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

Well, I have to agree with the ladies over in the Travel From Your Couch arena (topic #2), this one is awesome. Hopefully, it'll hang tight on the NY Times top 15 and everyone who chooses will get to enjoy it!

Review:

Every once in a while you come across a book that just entrances you from page one until the end ~ this is such a book. I rarely give any book 5 stars, so this is a rare treat. It's impossible to write too much of a review without dashing some of this novel's magic, but at its core it's the story of a spirited author Juliet (in post-WWII London) in search of a subject for her novel. She connects with an eccentric, endearing bunch of folks who are just coming out of the Nazi occupation of the Isle of Guernsey. Through their stories, history and literary society, Juliet befriends them and quickly becomes a part of their lives, and vice versa. The characters in this book are so engaging, it felt like being with a bunch of good friends. I did not want this one to end. I initially hesitated reading this book because of the "letter writing" style (having recently read two books with a similar approach), but these letters were like none I had read before; and this author succeeded in ways most others do not. This book has humor, true sadness, the horrors of the war, loss and love. You will smile more than once and laugh quite a bit. Highly recommended for a truly entertaining, transporting, enjoyable read.

5 out of 5 stars

Carolyn
Admin
Back to top Go down
https://wrrc.forumotion.com
Dorothy

Dorothy

PostSubject: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society   The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shafer & Annie Barrows EmptyFri 03 Apr 2009, 11:17 am

This is my pick for April. I just can't wait to get started reading it because of the great reviews by Sondra and Lori ( it was their travel selection) and Carolyn for the buzz listers selection. It very rarely if ever has happened that they all would give a book 5 stars.
Dorothy
Back to top Go down
Dorothy

Dorothy

PostSubject: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society   The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shafer & Annie Barrows EmptyTue 21 Apr 2009, 8:39 am

What a wonderful little book! It took me a while to finish it-only because I wanted to savor it. The characters are great. It makes you laugh and also be a little sad at times because of serious parts having to do with the German Occupation during the war. It's one of those books you don't want to end. I give it 5 stars. Also good for the Travel from Your Couch Category.
On to picking out my May selection (travel).
Happy reading everyone and please post your selections and put in your reviews (if only a star rating) I love reading them.
Dorothy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shafer & Annie Barrows   The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shafer & Annie Barrows Empty

Back to top Go down

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shafer & Annie Barrows
Page 1 of 1