Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)

Category-Based Online Book Club ~ To Learn and Share our Literary Treasures

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The White Tiger, by Aravind Adiga

Go down 
AuthorMessage
paula

PostSubject: The White Tiger, by Aravind Adiga   Tue 31 Mar 2009, 1:19 pm

Hi! This is my first post!! I read the whole book yesterday (had to get in before my end of the month deadline). It was gripping. Story of a man's rise through the caste system of India. As he rises in stature, he becomes corrupt and amoral. Anger permeates every page. The mystery here is in the way he explains his journey, as he confesses to be a murderer at the start of the story. It is nauseating in terms of the details of the suffering in the people of the lowest classes. Likens his and the other poor's plight to being in a chicken coop, never imagining that they could break free. Very sad. This novel is also a Man Booker award winner and the debut novel for Aravind Adiga. I do recommend this book.

Paula
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The White Tiger, by Aravind Adiga   Tue 31 Mar 2009, 3:22 pm

Way to go Paula!!! You got on here. I'm sorry for the registration troubles and equally sorry I was so little help ... looks like you did as well as I could have. I'm glad you're with us Smile

I am psyched you read this one, it's an unusual but most excellent choice for mystery! I love when you guys think outside the box.

I read this a few months ago. I'll have to go and find my review from www.librarything.com and share it here. I also think Sondra (of this club) might give this one a go too.

Again, welcome.

Carolyn
Admin

Last edited by Admin on Tue 31 Mar 2009, 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wrrc.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The White Tiger, by Aravind Adiga   Tue 31 Mar 2009, 3:25 pm

Wow, I was feeling generous that day ... I gave it 4 stars. Anyway, to join in the discussion of this interesting book (but I love anything about India), here is my revew from December '08:

I ended up enjoying this odd little tale quite a bit. I think for a reader to fall for it, you have to like the protagonist, Balram. I really did. He's a character of great fiction, kind, hateful, confused and steadfast, all in one body. He is a fascinating character who shows us a new India (juxtaposed to the old) that seems a bit different than the traditional caste view we usually see. In this book, the poor really can rise out of poverty, entrepeneurs as he describes himself. That said, to rise out of poverty comes with and for a hefty price. Balram commits some horrific acts, yet finds a way to justitfy much of it and get away with it. He never once flinches from reality and just admits that some people can, and do, get away with murder ~ as long as they know how to play the game. I'm not sure how accurrate it is, but this is an interesting view of Dehli, Bangalore and village life in India. I am not sure I learned all that much useful, but this was a very entertaining, easy read. My only complaints are that the form of writing to China's prime minister is a bit goofy; and the writing is pretty sophmoric at times. However, I figure some of that adds credibility to the narrarator.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wrrc.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The White Tiger, by Aravind Adiga   

Back to top Go down

The White Tiger, by Aravind Adiga
Page 1 of 1