Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)

Category-Based Online Book Club ~ To Learn and Share our Literary Treasures

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joannee

Joannee

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares Empty
PostSubject: The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares   The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares EmptyThu 30 Apr 2009, 5:51 pm

I asked for recommendations from my pal with 13 year old triplets -- and I decided on this series of books. As a kid, I loved reading authors that wrote a series of books - Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Harriet the Spy, Encyclopedia Brown etc. So, I am going to read this series. There are 4 books - and while that sounds ambitious - let me tell you -- the margins are big and the type is big so the 300 pages in each should not take as much time as one Harry Potter. I never saw this movie - so I go into the read - unjaded. I considered Twilight (see post in that section) and re-reading Summerland because Michael Chabon is one of my favorite wordsmiths...but here I stay - with the pants. study

REVIEW: There are 10 rules for the 4 girls who obtain these magical pants, and the last rule is Pants=Love. The author has crafted a summer series that takes the reader through the four very different personalities and life situation of the girls who are bonded by their mother's pre-birth pregnancy group. All born within 17 days, they are like sisters since they continued to play long after their mom's disbanded. So, the author explores issues of anger, frustrations, sadness, misunderstanding, lust/love/fear and agressive/retreating behavior as the girls find them selves in tough family, friend and lust/love/like with boys situations. The author nice gives each girl equal time and makes the pants an instrument of confidence (all their bodytypes miraculous fit the pants and in the pants they look really good.)

"Luck never gives up, it only Lends" Ancient Chinese Proverb -- and an excellent substitute for the pants. Pants=Luck o the luck you make with your confidence.

If you reach back to your own days as a teen (they are 15 in this episode) - and think of stupid things you did or said and then regreted or simply suffered for having done so -- you can identify with these girls. As the author notes, "Sometimes you're the windshield --sometimes, you're the bug." Since, it did not take long to read the book, I am going to attempt to read one or two more in the series. They are set in subsequent summers - so the girls are growing up.

Last edited by Joannee on Sun 17 May 2009, 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Writing the Review)
Back to top Go down

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC) :: The Twelve Categories - 2009 :: 8. Not Just for Kids-
Jump to: