Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)

Category-Based Online Book Club ~ To Learn and Share our Literary Treasures

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Babylon's Ark by Lawrence Anthony

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Karen We

PostSubject: Babylon's Ark by Lawrence Anthony   Sat 09 May 2009, 4:00 pm

Babylon's Ark tells the story of Lawrence Anthony, a South African conservationist who along with American Soldiers sought to save the abandoned animals of the Baghdad Zoo amidst the chaos, danger and uncertainty of a city under siege during the coalistion invasion of 2003.

This story sounded so interesting to me. I'll be back with the review.

Karen
Back to top Go down
Karen We

PostSubject: Re: Babylon's Ark by Lawrence Anthony   Sat 23 May 2009, 9:43 pm

Back in 2003 when the invasion of Iraq occurred, I remember watching the footage of American soldiers bringing down the statue of Saddam Hussein and people cheering in the streets. I thought to myself that this country was finally going to get a taste of what freedom and democracy was all about. But in following the stories of the liberation of Iraq, it never occurred to me that people weren't the only ones that were going to be on their way to a better life.

Lawrence Anthony tells an incredible story of how he helped to free the zoo animals of Baghdad from a most horrible existence. These innocent tigers, lions, bears, birds and other creatures were just trying to survive when Anthony arrives in Baghdad. Because of the war, the zoo was in shambles and the animals were abandoned by zoo staff who were forced to flee the city.

All I can say is that without the help of Anthony and later on other incredible men and women, the Baghdad Zoo would have ceased to be. Anthony was an incredible godsend to the animals and workers associated with the zoo and even though he would say that he was just doing the "right thing," very few people would have been able to pull off what he did.

Because the author had so many interesting stories to tell as he conveyed his experiences of being in Baghdad, I felt like I was listening to my dad again telling his intriguing stories of his WWII Navy days. Yes, there were parts of the book that were a little hard to read, but keep in mind that Anthony was trying his best to write about both the good and bad aspects of his time in Iraq.

Because Anthony did tend to repeat himself a bit, I would give the book 4 out of 5 stars.
Back to top Go down

Babylon's Ark by Lawrence Anthony
Page 1 of 1