Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)

Category-Based Online Book Club ~ To Learn and Share our Literary Treasures

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Scat by Carl Hiaasen

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Scat by Carl Hiaasen Empty
PostSubject: Scat by Carl Hiaasen   Scat by Carl Hiaasen EmptyMon 23 Mar 2009, 7:37 pm

I was just perusing the NY Times top 15 for the week and saw this! It is #4 on the children's chapter book list. I love Carl Hiassen for just pure fun. He now writes children's books too (targeted for ages 9-12 or so). I thought Hoot was awesome and cracked up the entire way through. Even though these are for kids, I challenge any adult (who enjoys the eco-friendly subject matter especially) not to enjoy them. Plus, I can give them to my niece (almost eight years old) when I'm done. She's getting to be a grand reader.

I'm not even sure what it's about yet and don't really care. I just needed a breather from the heady, serious stuff and this will fit the bill:

Scat by Carl Hiaasen 0375834869.01._SX140_SCLZZZZZZZ_

Review to follow.

Carolyn
Admin
Back to top Go down
https://wrrc.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

Scat by Carl Hiaasen Empty
PostSubject: Review of Scat by Carl Hiaasen (c. 2009)   Scat by Carl Hiaasen EmptyWed 25 Mar 2009, 8:43 pm

Review of Scat by Carl Hiaasen (c. 2009)

Another fun eco-mystery of sorts from Carl Hiaasen. I did not like this one quite as much as Hoot, but it was still a great read for young (and young at heart) readers. I like the way he generally works in a character or two who come from broken homes and go on to be local heros, and good people. He makes it seem like you can truimph over advserity as long as your heart is in the right place. As in Hoot, the kids are smart, intuitive and very into saving the endangered species of the Everglades area, this time the Florida Panther. One of the best characters in ages though is the stern school teacher who turns out to be someone quite different than the students thought, Ms. Bunny Starch. There is some grim reality too, e.g., the main character's Dad is injured in the Iraq war; and not all of the animals are saved from corporate greed and habitat destruction. Overall, I reccomend this one for the young, eco-friendly reader or anyone who likes reading about endangered animals.

3 stars out of 5

Carolyn
Admin
Back to top Go down
https://wrrc.forumotion.com

Scat by Carl Hiaasen
Page 1 of 1