Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)

Category-Based Online Book Club ~ To Learn and Share our Literary Treasures

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Someone Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill (c. 2007)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Someone Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill (c. 2007) Empty
PostSubject: Someone Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill (c. 2007)   Someone Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill (c. 2007) EmptyMon 20 Apr 2009, 8:07 pm

Someone Knows My Name (originally published in Canada under the title The Book of Negroes) by Lawrence Hill (c. 2007)

Someone Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill (c. 2007) 0393333094.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_

One of my favorite books of all time, this is what reading is all about to me, well-researched history, a wonderful protagonist and a new vision about where we come from and how we have treated each other through the forming of our countries (as we know them today). Although the writing is simple and straighforward, it is beautiful and poetic too. This is a story of a strong, spirited and brilliant Muslim African woman, born in 1754 (from the small village of Bayo, situated somewhere near Sierra Leone) who is captured and forced into slavery at the age of 11. She tells her story from her waning days in London, as a free woman. It's a powerful story, blending fact with fiction and taking readers down a road of slavery during the Revolutionary War, unknown to most. The reader travels with Aminata Diallo from interior Africa to its coast; to the South Carolina low country indigo plantations, to New York City, Nova Scotia, Sierra Leone, then London. Mr. Hill does not sugarcoat anything, this is a brutal, disturbing read; and Aminata lives many lives. At times artistic license is a bit far reaching, but still, that lends to make it engaging and entertaining within a difficult subject. Aminata is a character of great fiction; and this is a powerful story. Highly recommended if you can accept the brutal realities of slavery and the slave trade(s).

5 out of 5 stars

Carolyn
Admin
Back to top Go down
https://wrrc.forumotion.com

Someone Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill (c. 2007)
Page 1 of 1