Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)

Category-Based Online Book Club ~ To Learn and Share our Literary Treasures

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Crashing Through A True Story of Risk, Adventure, And The man who Dared To See

Go down 
AuthorMessage
karen we

Crashing Through A True Story of Risk, Adventure, And The man who Dared To See Empty
PostSubject: Crashing Through A True Story of Risk, Adventure, And The man who Dared To See   Crashing Through A True Story of Risk, Adventure, And The man who Dared To See EmptyWed 04 Feb 2009, 3:14 pm

The book I chose for my February topic is Crashing Through by Robert Kurson. It is the story of Mike May who blinded at the age of 3, accomplishes amazing things like breaking world records in downhill speed skiing and joining the CIA along with becoming a successful inventor, entrepreneur and family man. Mike then faces the decision of his life when he finds out that he is a candidate for a revolutionary surgery that could restore his sight. Mike begins to contemplate a new world for himself as a seeing person, but will the risks of the surgery be worth enduring for a new life that Mike may not be ready for or truly want?

I'm looking forward to reading this intriguing story.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Crashing Through A True Story of Risk, Adventure, And The man who Dared To See Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crashing Through A True Story of Risk, Adventure, And The man who Dared To See   Crashing Through A True Story of Risk, Adventure, And The man who Dared To See EmptyThu 05 Feb 2009, 2:15 pm

Wow, that looks really good. I am anxious to read your review of it! Some of my favorite biographies are seemingly ordinary people doing amazing things. They can be so inspiring.

Carolyn
Back to top Go down
https://wrrc.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Review by Karen W.   Crashing Through A True Story of Risk, Adventure, And The man who Dared To See EmptyMon 02 Mar 2009, 11:00 am

I really enjoyed the book Crashing Through A True Story of Risk, Adventure, and the Man who Dared to See.
I thought the author, Robert Kurson did an an excellent job telling the story of Mike May and his extraordinary life. I really felt connected to May right from the beginning as Kurson describes the circumstances that led Mike to ponder the idea of regaining his sight. The reader is then brought back to 1957 where we learn how Mike was blinded in the first place. We are introduced to family members, friends, doctors and scientists who all play major roles in May's life and in his final decision of whether or not to go through with trying to regain his sight, a miracle of sorts when you think about it.

This book not only told the story of Mike May's life like any biography would do, but I came away with an appreciation of the ideals that Mike May strives to live by each and every day since he was blinded at age 3. These include: Have adventures, Speak to your curiosity, Be willing to fall down or to get lost, and There's always a way.

I was always eager to read the next chapter to find out more about May and about what really makes him tick. He's the first to say that he's no super hero, but just a regular guy who chooses to make the most of his life because each day is an opportunity to "crash through" and experience everything life has to offer.

I also thought that Kurson did an excellent job with some of the more technical aspects of the book when it came to describing how vision really works. Those parts could have been quite tedious and boring to read through, but instead they were quite interesiting and I learned a lot.

A great read!

Review by Karen W.

[POST MOVED HERE FOR EASE OF NAVIGATION]
Back to top Go down
https://wrrc.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crashing Through A True Story of Risk, Adventure, And The man who Dared To See   Crashing Through A True Story of Risk, Adventure, And The man who Dared To See Empty

Back to top Go down

Crashing Through A True Story of Risk, Adventure, And The man who Dared To See
Page 1 of 1