Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)

Category-Based Online Book Club ~ To Learn and Share our Literary Treasures

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mexico: A Traveler's Literary Companion (various authors)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
patty

Mexico: A Traveler's Literary Companion (various authors) Empty
PostSubject: Mexico: A Traveler's Literary Companion (various authors)   Mexico: A Traveler's Literary Companion (various authors) EmptyThu 15 Jan 2009, 6:15 am

Hello All!

This month, I have the travel category. Just before our reading club launched, I received an email about Whereabouts Press. They publish several travel books that allow you to get to know a country by reading short stories written by authors of that country. To see a listing of the books available, visit The books are $14.95 at Borders and hopefully you all have a little frequent buyer card so that you can get a bit of a discount.

I have chosen to read about Mexico. I am Mexican but born and raised in the United States. There is so much to Mexico that I don't know and I am enjoying the stories written about each area and/or state of Mexico. I liken it to reading a story about the North or South of the United States or perhaps reading about Florida versus Illinois. Even though we are one big country, the geographical areas and states are all very unique in their cultures and lifestyles. Some of the stories are extremely funny and others are very sad and realistic.

I will submit my review at the end of the month, but if anyone would like this book for their next reading, please let me know and I will send it to you.
Back to top Go down
PattyM56

PostSubject: Mexico Travel Book   Mexico: A Traveler's Literary Companion (various authors) EmptySun 01 Feb 2009, 8:43 am

I have completed "Mexico: A Traveler's Literary Companion" and it was good. It was a treat to read the works of so many authors' - it's hard to believe that we rarely get a glimpse of Mexican authors since their works are not translated into mainstream American. The stories for the most part were good, but because they are either short stories or excerpts from larger works, I sometimes was left wanting more. I like seeing a character develop and having the story unfold and with a short story, it's hard to have that feeling. I would recommend this book because it does expose you to so many different styles, but you could also read from another series - France, Italy, etc.

Happy Reading!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mexico: A Traveler's Literary Companion (various authors)   Mexico: A Traveler's Literary Companion (various authors) EmptySun 01 Feb 2009, 7:21 pm

Were most of these stories originally written in Spanish? I was just kind of wondering. I will have to check out the rest of this series. I wonder if they have ones on Africa and/or India?

Good review my friend!

Carolyn
Admin
Back to top Go down
https://wrrc.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mexico: A Traveler's Literary Companion (various authors)   Mexico: A Traveler's Literary Companion (various authors) Empty

Back to top Go down

Mexico: A Traveler's Literary Companion (various authors)
Page 1 of 1