Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)

Category-Based Online Book Club ~ To Learn and Share our Literary Treasures

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sondrage1102

Sondrage1102

Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society Empty
PostSubject: Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society   Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society EmptySun 08 Feb 2009, 8:01 am

While that is quite a title, this is also quite a book. I enjoyed this one from start to finish; so much so that I felt the need to pass it along the minute I finished it!

I tried to be creative with this foreign topic. First I started to read a boo about mutiny on the high seas. While I have found many books in this genre interesting, it just wasn't working for me. Then I found this jewel....

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

This book is "about" the German occupation of the Guernsey Island during WWII. The author writes this story as a series of letters that, amazingly, make the characters come alive. You learn to love each and every one of them. This is a very serious subject, and the author does not let you forget that, but you are also not beaten over the head with it. The reader understands her chosen style of storytelling at the end of the book. The story is told through the "real" people and you come to feel that you are on the island with them.

When you read this book, you will giggle ~ yes I said giggle, you will gasp, you will be appalled, and you will smile warmly. You may learn about a land that you never knew existed and of a people whose plight you were never aware. Most of all, you will want to pass this book along to a friend, so that they will enjoy it too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.oliveandwell.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society   Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society EmptySun 08 Feb 2009, 8:33 am

Wow, that sounds really good! I have heard other great things about it ... it's on the list TBR!

Great review!

Carolyn
Back to top Go down
https://wrrc.forumotion.com
Lori

PostSubject: Re: Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society   Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society EmptyTue 10 Mar 2009, 10:27 pm

I also read this book for this month. This was a wonderful wonderful book. I loved it. You feel these characters are real and you would love to meet them. This is one of those books I didn't want to put down, couldn't wait to get back to and stayed up way too late reading it (just a couple of more pages... maybe a couple more....until past midnight.) Can't recommend it highly enough.

5 out of 5 stars
Back to top Go down
Karen We

PostSubject: Re: Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society   Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society EmptyMon 06 Apr 2009, 8:27 am

I was so intrigued by all the rave reviews that I just had to read this book in between my other "category" books. It was very good. Yes, you do get so attached to the characters like you wrote, Sondra and Lori. You were sad to get to the end and have to say good-bye to these people and their island. I told my mom about the book and so she read it and really enjoyed it also. I think the reviews are spreading like wild fire.

It was noted in the acknowledgement page that the author Mary Ann Shaffer had given special thanks to her niece Annie Barrows for stepping in to help finish the book when personal health issues had arisen for her and she was unable to finish the book herself. My 8 year old daughter Abby and I have enjoyed Annie Barrows books series entitled Ivy and Bean about two friends who couldn't be more different from one another, but who end up being the best of friends. What a family of writers!

Thank you Sondra, Lori and Carolyn for passing on a jewel of a book.

Karen
Back to top Go down
Nicole

Nicole

PostSubject: Re: Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society   Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society EmptySat 06 Jun 2009, 8:14 am

Considering the great reviews, I choose this book for my travel June reading assignment. Can't wait to get started...
Nicole
Back to top Go down
Nicole

Nicole

PostSubject: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society   Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society EmptySat 04 Jul 2009, 2:10 pm

This book did not disappoint! I thought this read would be about German occupation reactions in a small town, I never imagined this clever approach to the subject. Letters have been used in many novels, but in this book, the author truly hits the tone and honest discourse of so many communicants.

As a travel selection this was a great read...although I am not convinced I would like to visit...
thanks for the recommendation!
4.5 out of 5
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society   Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society Empty

Back to top Go down

Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Page 1 of 1