Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)

Category-Based Online Book Club ~ To Learn and Share our Literary Treasures

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Into a Paris Quartier by Diane Johnson (c. 2005)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Into a Paris Quartier by Diane Johnson (c. 2005) Empty
PostSubject: Into a Paris Quartier by Diane Johnson (c. 2005)   Into a Paris Quartier by Diane Johnson (c. 2005) EmptyThu 02 Apr 2009, 4:21 pm

I am travelling to Paris next month, so it's time to get Francophiled. This is a little book of observations from an American woman who moved to the St. Germaine des Pres area of Paris. The reviews on Amazon and such stink to a large degree, but mostly because everyone seems to think the author is kind of a name-dropping, privileged snoot. But hey, I survived that Eat, Pray Love chick (none whinier or seemingly more priviliged), so I believe I'll be okay. I mostly just want to learn about the area and this was the only book I could find about it. I'm going in thinkin' two stars at best, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Into a Paris Quartier by Diane Johnson (c. 2005) 0792262085.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_

Review to follow.

Carolyn
Admin
Back to top Go down
https://wrrc.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

Into a Paris Quartier by Diane Johnson (c. 2005) Empty
PostSubject: Review of Into A Paris Quartier by Diane Johnson   Into a Paris Quartier by Diane Johnson (c. 2005) EmptyFri 03 Apr 2009, 8:37 am

Review of Into A Paris Quartier: Reine Margot's Chapel and Other Haunts of St. Germain, by Diane Johnson

I bought this for a trip to Paris next month ~ mostly to learn about the fascinating Sixth Arrondissement (or district) called St. Germain Des Pres. The books was fascinating, especially regarding the history of people in the area, both historically and "fictionally" - from The Musketeer D'Artagnan to Queen Margot and even Hemmingway (who are obviously real people, but much is folklore and fiction at this point). Johnson also focuses much on the artitecture of the area and things that at first glance, are hidden from view. The reviews on this little book are really mediocre and I'm not sure why. I suppose the privileged (name dropping?) life of the author might be off-putting to some. That said, I rather liked it for a precursor to travel to the area. What I like is the author doesn't spoon feed you specific areas to go, restaurants or shop, although she mentions a few. She gives you some basic information to start your own "American in Paris" journey. Recommended if you are travelling to Paris, or just like to read about it.

3 out of 5 stars
Carolyn
Admin
Back to top Go down
https://wrrc.forumotion.com

Into a Paris Quartier by Diane Johnson (c. 2005)
Page 1 of 1