Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)

Category-Based Online Book Club ~ To Learn and Share our Literary Treasures

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle bu Daive Wroblewski

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joannee

Joannee

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle bu Daive Wroblewski Empty
PostSubject: The Story of Edgar Sawtelle bu Daive Wroblewski   The Story of Edgar Sawtelle bu Daive Wroblewski EmptyFri 10 Jul 2009, 4:58 pm

I was fortunate to find this book in my local library -- since I did not have any "O" selections in my own unread library. I had wanted to read this story for quite some time, so it is great that Oprah did too.

This book did not disappoint. I did not realize that it was a first-time author and true to what I have typically found, the story is set in the environs in which the author lived. Here, it was rural Wisconsin. Briefly, the story is about a boy and his dog - or more specifically, a unique boy and several dogs. The author chose to write each chapter from the point of view of one character which helps to divide the story and provide the insight for that character. I found it very compelling. Our boy Edgar is smart. Smarter than anyone can figure out, and he deals with adversity as any kid might. We see his temper, his tantrums, his anger and his regret. But also, we see him persever where he thinks he is right. It is up to the reader to decide if his visions are merely his thoughts swirling in his brain or if he really sees apparitions and learns perspectives, clues to the mysteries and finds his source of drive from these inspirations. The writer produced a compelling story and one that I would definitely recommend to others. As you read and envision the scenarios - you find that you laugh at crazy walking pups, cry through the death, seeth over the bad guys (How dare they do that!) and feel for the strong-willed and strong-minded mother. One line jumped out as memorable and, I think, could encapsulate the book It is buried between two others, but see the CAPS: "Life was a swarm of accidents wating in the treetops, descending upon any living thing that passed, ready to eat them alive. YOU SWAM IN A RIVER OF CHANCE AND COINCIDENCE. You clung to the happiest accidents -- the rest you let float by.

Last edited by Joannee on Mon 27 Jul 2009, 8:40 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Completed the book)
Back to top Go down

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle bu Daive Wroblewski
Page 1 of 1