Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)

Category-Based Online Book Club ~ To Learn and Share our Literary Treasures

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Rescue Artist, by Edward Dolnick 2006 Edgar Award

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Beth Dunn

Beth Dunn

The Rescue Artist, by Edward Dolnick  2006 Edgar Award Empty
PostSubject: The Rescue Artist, by Edward Dolnick 2006 Edgar Award   The Rescue Artist, by Edward Dolnick  2006 Edgar Award EmptyFri 20 Mar 2009, 5:21 pm

); The Rescue Artist: A True Story of Art, Thieves, and the Hunt for a Missing Masterpiece (P.S.) - Edward Dolnick

This is a new author for me. The plot and story line are right up my alley, in terms of the types of books I enjoy reading. Looking forward to it.

OK, I finally finished my April book and my comments...

The Rescue Artist by Edward Dolnick was an Edgar Award Winner, for “Best Fact Crime” and is on art theft and quite good. It did jump around quite a bit and because of that you could sort of lose track of the main story. All the tangents are more than interesting, though. This book was about how Edvard Munch's "The Scream" which was stolen and subsequently recovered. The first chapter alone is like reading an episode of Keystone Kops. Nonetheless, this is interesting view into the world of art theft, which surprisingly enough, happens more than I would have thought. Reading about art theft, it was interesting to learn the rationale behind the thieves’ intent. Many times, it is simply a matter of “the challenge”, not just the money. The money that the thieves’ realize from their crime is normally a fraction of the true value of the art. Needless to say, the book was a good read and certainly not one that I would have normally chosen to read.

I rate this book a 3

Last edited by Beth Dunn on Sat 11 Apr 2009, 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Finished book)
Back to top Go down
Lori

The Rescue Artist, by Edward Dolnick  2006 Edgar Award Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rescue Artist, by Edward Dolnick 2006 Edgar Award   The Rescue Artist, by Edward Dolnick  2006 Edgar Award EmptySat 05 Dec 2009, 11:25 pm

I also read this book for this topic. I really enjoyed the book. The stories were interesting and
I learned a lot. The only slower parts were when the author talked too much about the main undercover cop,
his thoughts, motivation, character quirks etc. Still overall I thought it was a good and interesting read.

3 stars
Back to top Go down

The Rescue Artist, by Edward Dolnick 2006 Edgar Award
Page 1 of 1