Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)

Category-Based Online Book Club ~ To Learn and Share our Literary Treasures

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

In the Woods by Tana French (Edgar award)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Nicole

Nicole

In the Woods by Tana French (Edgar award) Empty
PostSubject: In the Woods by Tana French (Edgar award)   In the Woods by Tana French (Edgar award) EmptySat 28 Feb 2009, 4:07 pm

My March selection is an Edgar award winner.
The Edgar Allan Poe award is given annually by the Mystery Writers of America. This award acknowledges the best in mystery fiction, non-fiction, television and film.
I like to read mysteries where I think I can figure out the outcome...let's see if this book delivers..
Happy Reading,
Nicole
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: In the Woods by Tana French (Edgar award)   In the Woods by Tana French (Edgar award) EmptyMon 02 Mar 2009, 10:42 am

I'm so happy you chose this one Nicole! I'm dying to hear what you think. I had gotten this book for Sondra for Christmas and all I hear is how impossible it is to put down. As I'm not a huge mystery fan, I'm anxious to maybe read it for that category.

Carolyn
Admin
Back to top Go down
https://wrrc.forumotion.com
Nicole

Nicole

PostSubject: In the Woods by Tana French (Edgar Award)   In the Woods by Tana French (Edgar award) EmptySun 22 Mar 2009, 1:54 pm

Tana French's IN THE WOODS, winner of the Mystery Writers of America's Edgar Award for Best First Novel in 2008, centers on a Dublin, Ireland murder squad detective named Rob Ryan. Twenty years ago in 1984, on a warm summer night, Rob (then known as Adam) was playing with two friends, Jamie Rowan and Peter Savage, in the woods near his home. The three children had done this before on many occasions. But on this particular night, Jamie and Peter would disappear without a trace, leaving Ryan to be discovered, half-hysterical and unable to remember what had taken place.
Now in 2004, a 12-year-old girl has been found, violated and murdered, in the same woods. When Ryan and Cassie Maddox, his partner and closest friend, are assigned to investigate the killing, it gives Ryan the opportunity not only to solve a high-profile murder but also to investigate what happened to him and his friends on that fateful night long ago.
As Ryan mentally reviews his life, past and present, it becomes obvious that the events of 1984 have influenced him in ways that even he seems to be unaware of --- from his choice of friends to his vocation. It is also apparent that, as Ryan's investigation progresses more deeply into the past and present, he is slowly but inexorably unraveling --- physically, mentally and emotionally. As terrible as the disappearances of his friends were, the murder that Ryan and Maddox are investigating is equally horrid, more so for the motivation of it, which is ultimately revealed.
I enjoyed French's development of Ryan and Cassie's convincing friendship. However I thought the author could have managed the abrupt end of the relationship in a more realistic manner. The book sustains tension throughout. This is a dual track mystery and I was disappointed in the author's inability to unravel both with equal aplomb. This is a good mystery and I look forward to French's future novels. I did not foresee the ending…although I had guessed the culprit.
I give this book a 3 out of 5 stars.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In the Woods by Tana French (Edgar award)   In the Woods by Tana French (Edgar award) Empty

Back to top Go down

In the Woods by Tana French (Edgar award)
Page 1 of 1